Tuesday, October 05, 2004

A day off...

So my writing partner Matt is on his way over - actually there's a good chance he'll interrupt this. We're setting about to finish the pilot he and I have been working on for six months. I have to say, he did the lion's share of the revision work, and by that I mean that once we realized five months of our work was shit, he went in and rewrote evertything all over again. I was tied up working as a writer/producer on "Carpocalypse," a reality show about redneck demolition derby drivers that will air on Spike TV in the next couple of months (check local listings!). Anyway, Matt really picked up the ball that I, as half the writing team, dropped. Today we're punching it up and hoping to put it to bed. By Friday, my manager will have it, and next week we'll all sit down and see what kind of strategy we want to adopt to "get it out there." It's a comedy by the way.

On the Get Low front, had a long conversation with the director Aaron yesterday. I broke his Farmer's Market cherry, which was my pleasure; it was done to me, and I have no problem passing along the favor, I only regret the Beverly Hills Art League and all the old ladies' paintings are gone. Nontheless, we spoke for a few hours about changes to the script. They are hefty, but the more I think about them - dammit - he's right. They ultimately will make for a better finished product. We talked a lot about Morgan Freeman. He's the Holy Grail of this project right now. We get him, we dance. Aaron had a whole packet of casting suggestions that William Morris, his agency, put together. It was impressive. The binding, I mean. Impressive to see my work covered in a legitimate and well-known agency's blue cardstock script binding. It really is the little things.


** for those who may or may not know about this stuff, the pilot is a cop half-hour comedy. Get Low is the screenplay I wrote about the old hermit who asks to have his funeral preached. The Zanuck Company will produce, Aaron Schneider will direct, and Robert Duvall (and hopefully Morgan) will star.

No comments: