Monday, July 24, 2006

The First Part of the Catch-Up

Shout out to my dogg MacDaddy, who reminded me that I wanted to check out crazy* Al Gore in his movie An Inconvenient Truth. So I saw it Friday night. The movie theater was a nice respite from the ass-melting heat we've been enjoying here lately. Yeah, it's hot. I know it's hot in the world generally but you know it's really also hotter than hell here in L.A. So what do I do? Become a bike rider all of a sudden. I hope... nay, I believe I'm reducing the carbon footprint. Gas out here, I mean it's crazy wherever you live - we here in the U.S. just set a record high average price. But California is higher than just about everyone else. And let's not even really open it up to what's going on in the Middle East. You see, the oil is running out. Everywhere. They're circling the wagons. So it seems pretty obvious to me it's high time to get off the petroleum tit in whatever way possible.

"The Dutch conduct 30 percent of all their trips—to work, for errands, socially—by bike. In America, that figure is less than 1 percent. We drive 84 percent of the time, even though most of our trips are less than 2 miles long. More than three-quarters of us commute alone by car, compared with just half a million (way less than 1 percent) who do so by bike, according to the 2000 Census."

That quote is from this article by Bill Gifford from Slate.com. I hope I don't get sued for reprinting it. Anyway.

I'm trying. I'm conducting my business as locally as possible, and riding where I can (yesterday to the video store and Circuit City, today to the Downtown Library). And don't get me wrong, it ain't easy with the temperatures what they are... but... doing my part.

Anyway, tomorrow some info on, you know, what this site is supposed to be about. Screenwriting and my career and other such miseries.

*My father won't see the movie claiming that Al Gore is crazy. He said, and I paraphrase: "Al Gore is a crazy person and I don't like him. Could you imagine the trouble we'd be in now if HE were President?"

2 comments:

The MacDaddy said...

Thanks for the shoutout Big Job. I sent you an email with other news but I love the fact you've taken the time to ride your bike in LA. Yeah Al Gore is a crazy old bastard isn't he. Just think he was President for a few hours at least. Stay tuned for my new blog at envirminute.org. I hope all 3 of your readers will come visit soon.

Anonymous said...

how does taking the subway rate on the carbon footprint-o-meter? see if you moved to new york...

oh i cant help myself. calm down.